Is there another term for matriarchy?
Other expressions use by scholars (mainly 19th century) for matriarchal societies are:
Terms introduced in the second half of the 20th century
- traditional societies
- primitives, primitive peoples
- tribal peoples, tribes
These terms are used throughout literature, when it comes to
matriarchal social structures. Of course, not all current tribes for
instance have all significant matriarchal characteristics.
- indigenous peoples, natives
- acephalous societies (ethnology: tribes without rulers)
- regulated anarchy (Christian Sigrist)
- consensus democracies (see article by Prof. Kwasi Wiredu)
- egalitarian democracy of consensus (Thomas Wagner in Irokesen und Demokratie)
Read about the term "matriarchy"